Þingvallakirkja in Thingvellir National Park
Þingvallakirkja is one of Iceland’s first churches. The original was consecrated in the 11th century, but the current wooden building only dates from 1859. Inside are several bells from earlier churches, a 17th-century wooden pulpit, and a painted altarpiece from 1834. The independence-era poets Jónas Hallgrímsson and Einar Benediktsson are interred in the small cemetery behind the church.